Saturday 20 November 2010

Solve the puzzle

Going back to the idea of conceptual art and how you can perceive it in your own way, it would be interesting to see how things are put together without following the rules or instructions and to see how they are interpreted into something different each time, for example puzzles, garments, furniture such as tables, wardrobes etc. 

I was going to use a jigsaw puzzle to demonstrate this, but the only one I found was a one with frogs on it, containing a thousand pieces, which probably would have taken a couple of hours to get two pieces to match up! Anyway I found something much more interesting. My sister bought me a puzzle from a maths museum in germany which contains four wooden pieces and the aim is to create a T shape out of them. I can never figure how to do it but I did create some other shapes....

I tried out some flat shapes which turned out really well, and could possibly be used as prints if they were repeated. But then I tried doing layered ones where I piled the pieces up, which I was inspired to do by the babel theme which means a mixture of voices translated to different things, so a confusion of things I guess, and this is what I came up with....

..actually I did manage to make a T in the end! Well i kind of cheated, I layered the pieces up but I guess its my own interpretation!




The top photo is taken facing straight down on the little structure and the bottom image is the same structure but shows the side view and its dimensions which you cannot make out from the top image. So, depending on how you you view it, it looks different, or translates to something different. This connects really well with the idea of miscommunication. It sort of portrays how things have more than one aspect to them, which may be hidden if you don't look close enough, an interesting idea that I could incorporate into my designs.

Here's some more...



The blocks created some great shapes and structure, inspiring the ideas of patterns for fabrics and structures for garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment