Friday 12 November 2010

Babel

Following on from the idea of miscommunication between language, I found a book called Babel, and although I haven't used the book, I'm glad I found it because the word babel fits in perfectly with my theme. It is derived from a passage in the bible, and means the confusion of sounds, noises, languages. It links to the idea of being mislead, confused and misguided. A whole array of noises can create beautiful noise, as can a whole array of ideas! I could possibly layer up designs to create a new shape?

The first few pages of the book were very strange, they had two different texts layered on top of each other, one in blue and another in red. I realised there was a piece of blue plastic at the front of the book which I put over the text to distinguish between the two!





















I like this idea of something that is indistinguishable and requires another thing to make it all clear.

In terms of relating it to garment ideas, it could be a flat-pack garment which forms into shape when you put it on like the ones Issey Miyake created, or a pleated and elasticised garment which is quite figure hugging, which takes form and moulds around your body when worn.

Here is one of Issey Miyake's awsome origami dresses from the collection 132.5....





























































No comments:

Post a Comment