Sunday 7 November 2010

Inspiring artists

Following on from the briefing, I had a look at the artists and designers Lee mentioned, and some of them caught my eye. First of all was Cocky Eek...
Cocky Eek's 'Kitedress'

...a couple of her projects are controlled by wind power, which were really interesting because she is not creating the shapes herself, but leaving it to another source of power. The idea of natural elements such as rain and temperature having an effect on a garment is a great idea. The kitedress and another of Eek's works, both powered by the wind, create amazing shapes.

Theo Jansen was another artist I looked at. Me and my mum were blown away by videos of his Strandbeests, they were amazing!
They are huge structures made up of plastic and powered solely by the wind. Again, the idea of natural elements being an important part of the artists work is shown here.

My final inspiration is the leader of innovative fashion, Hussein Chalayan. 





















I looked at a few other designers, but nobody compared to him! I think the reason why his work is so unique is because it fuses fashion with art, technology and society, which can be very controversial. Some may not like it, but I do, and for me its not just the technology involved that amazes me. He creates great structure and form, and the tailoring is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment