Saturday 20 November 2010

Combination garments

Continuing from the previous posts, the puzzle that I worked with had lots of combinations or ways to put the blocks together, which linked into the idea of layers and confusion from the babel theme. So I thought it would be a good idea to have layered garments which contain some structure, which can have elements of them which the wearer can remove, such as removable sleeves for the summer. It links with the perception theme and miscommunication, as you do not expect that they can be removed, as they are well hidden. It is interactive too, as the wearer is making the decisions about how they want to wear the garment and what they want the overall layered look to be like.

The process of doing what I did with the puzzle or having a number of combinations is quite spontaneous and accidental, which reminds me of Jackson Pollock...






















...his abstract expressionist paintings using the 'drip and splash' technique were based on the whole idea of spontaneity and chance, and they were about being free and interacting with the canvas, rather than focussing on something else, such as an object or person, to create it.

Another thing I've decided on is the colour scheme based on my concepts. I had a few intitial ideas:
1. be spontaneous, and pick a colour out of the bag, maybe not a great idea seeing as I've got such a range of pantones!
2. do opposing/clashing colours, such as orange and pink, bright and pale...
3. choose one colour, but different shades..

...I ended up choosing number 3 because I think it will work best with my design ideas as there will be lots of layers, with different tones of the same colour. I've chosen a colour pallete of nude colours and some slightly darker and brighter ones which will go with the more pale colours, to give a nice contrast, and unexpected clash, and act as highlighters, creating a depth in the layers.

Some of the colours I've chosen:






No comments:

Post a Comment