Sunday 14 November 2010

Hidden meaning

Following on with my theme of miscommunication, a key word pops to mind, and that is 'perception'. This led me to the artist Joseph Kosuth as he is a conceptual artist. The whole idea of conceptual art for me is the way it makes you wander and question it. There is no obvious answer, and you don't know why its been put there or what it derived from, only the artist does, but thats what is great about it, it is there for you to have your own interpretation. This also led me to Robert Rauschenberg, whose work I've looked at before, and really liked.































These are examples of Joseph Kosuth's work, this website shows more of his work:
http://radicalart.info/concept/tautology/kosuth/index.html

He communicates most of his ideas through language, in the form of words and sometimes images, and he uses references which seem very literal, which really makes you think and engage with the installations. Its quite interactive in that way, as it is made to be seen and interpreted by people, as are lots of art installations I guess, but I chose Kosuth in particuar because I like the way he communicates his art.

Robert Rauschenberg uses found objects and images to create collage-like pieces with his art, which are purely visual. It was really hard for me to choose images to put on here because I love all of his work, but here are three that I really like...!











































Rauschenberg's work is great to look at, I like that its quite graphical, but I think the most important thing is that it represents something, each piece has a different purpose, but also his work was about moving away from Abstract art, which was very popular at the time, it has great meaning behind it.

Again it leads to the idea of engaging with the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment