Wednesday 4 May 2011

Concepts I

Following on from the initial Amish inspiration, I have picked out some key words and concepts to inspire my designs further:

UNIFORM
The Amish have a very uniform lifestyle, as well as the way they dress, so I thought I would look at other uniforms, simple ones, such as cleaners, nurses etc....










































There are a range of uniforms here, which are all slightly similar, they are not very form fitting, especially the first two or three, and are all fairly simple in shape and colour, so I guess its the minor details that count, such as the different coloured hems and collars. Also the pleats, hidden pockets, hem lengths etc, are really important when creating simple designs, these can be altered easily to create something new.

PROPORTION PLAY
The reason why I have chosen this is to represent dwarfism which is a common genetic disorder in the Amish communities. It is one of the first things that came to mind when I initially saw the word Amish in the list of topics at the start of the project.

Coincidentally, this concept also relates to the Amish theme because Amish menswear is oversized and very loose fitting, so the clothes are bigger than they should be. I will be incorporating this into my designs by lengthening hems and loosening the fit.





















No comments:

Post a Comment